Barbara B didn’t know what to expect as she drove from New Jersey back to her home in Naples Florida a few days after hurricane Irma ravaged Southwest Florida. She heard vague accounts on the news and from some of her friends that many of the roads were impassible due to flooding and debris from fallen trees as well as downed power lines.
Just before Barbara left Naples to spend a month at the New Jersey shore, she knew that her roof was on borrowed time. Before the hurricane hit, she saw the telltale signs of water damage with stains, cracking, and peeling paint on her ceiling and trim in her living room. Barbara knew it was related to her roof which to her knowledge had never been repaired or replaced in over 30 years. She didn’t understand the real consequences of a leaking roof – that the extent of water damage and the longer it lasted would produce a mold infestation that could rapidly spread throughout her property.
Knowing that fixing the roof was her immediate need, Barbara contracted with a roofing company for a roof replacement. Because the storm was imminent, they agreed to install a blue roof tarp in preparation for the hurricane in the hopes of preventing catastrophic water damage from the hurricane.
Barbara’s Initial Water Damage Repair Service
Barbara tutored the son of a plumbing contractor who had recently added water damage repair service to his business. He knew that this was a booming and lucrative service with almost no regulation and requirements for certification in Florida. This gave free reign to any company with a contractor’s license serving the home building and repairs industry.
The plumber convinced Barbara that he could take care of her needs for water damage repair and mold remediation and save her money. Barbara had no homeowner’s insurance and because of the overwhelming demand for these services from property owners, she felt that she was fortunate to have someone available to work on her property almost right away.
Within two weeks, the new roof was installed and the plumber dispatched some workers to Barbara’s property to begin mold remediation services prior to water damage restoration and repairs. Barbara temporarily moved in with a friend during the work but paid careful attention to what was being done in her property.
Having a history of asthma, Barbara knew that without a proper mold remediation service, mold cleanup was not likely to be effective for the long term. When she discovered workers in her home without any respirator equipment or specialized equipment to contain and remove the mold, she became very concerned. She found out that there was no one on the job site who had any specialized knowledge, experience and certification in water damage repair and mold remediation. The only person licensed and certified was allowing the work to be performed under his company name but had no involvement in the actual work performed.
Barbara Learned About Water Damage Repair Service
Barbara’s friend told her about her own experience following two floods from an ongoing plumbing problem – the first company was not a general contractor, performed unnecessary demolition and charged $6,000 more than the company providing the exact same services immediately after the second flood. The second company, recommended by the insurance company Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations was a general contractor in Southwest Florida with over 30 years of experience and licensed, insured and certified to provide water damage repair, mold remediation and disaster restoration.
Barbara learned about IICRC Water Damage & Mold Remediation Protocols used by Armstrong and other reputable water damage and mold remediation companies to assure that the work performed is appropriate for safety, containment, drying, dehumidification, cleanup, and restoration.
Barbara contacted Armstrong and hired them to determine the extent of the problem and provide needed mold remediation based on IICRC protocols. The work was thorough and completed in a timely manner. Barbara is now back in her home following needed restoration and repairs. She confirmed through mold testing that her property is free of mold and that the air quality safe for people and pets. Barbara knows without a doubt that Armstrong was the right company to handle her water damage and mold remediation problem.